Sunday, July 11, 2010

Let's enjoy this while it lasts...

My girls are SO excited to have homework over the summer. What would we do without reading and math from our teachers for three months? Luckily, we have Mrs. Schmelzer, A+ teacher, in our corner. She was Cami's English teacher for 2nd grade and sent her home with a packet on the last day of school. She had outlined a fun "summer activity" (we saw right through that name and call it "homework") for five days each week, for 11 weeks through the summer. We're in homework heaven!
The activities are easily adaptable to different levels, so I made Lily her own copy of the packet and away they went! They've spent the last few weeks writing, reading, measuring, adding, and cooking up a storm. I had my own fun ideas, but of course those only lasted a couple weeks so I'm glad to have some consistency from these packets.
One of the assignments was to make a batch of her favorite dessert--in Cami's case, peanut butter cookies, or at least her favorite dessert for which we had all ingredients on hand. (For all you moms cringing at the thought of daily mess- and mom's help-intensive activities, most of them are pretty easy--this is by far the most complicated activity.)

This last picture is horribly blurry, but I can't leave Lily out. She made cupcakes for her birthday party:

1 comment: