Thursday, June 25, 2009

Fun in the sun (okay, it was a little cloudy)

What a good dad we have! He loves to fish, but he hardly ever gets out because he doesn't want to leave us at home during his rare free time. So his solution this year was to scrounge through the garage and closets, sell all his toys that aren't really being used, and buy a boat. That way, he still gets fishing time, but it's family time, too:

We are now the proud owners of an aluminum boat, which we upgraded from a rowboat to a boat-with-a-trolling-motor between its first and second time out (and boy! does that make a difference).

The girls have fun, as long as they don't have to be fishing (sorry, Dad). Actually, it's been funny, because they haven't really caught any fish, which is why they don't like it. Ryan has found that just because he's King of the Creek when it comes to river fishing, that's not quite the same as lake fishing with 2 kids.


It looks like we'll have a lot of opportunity for practice this summer, though.


The girls had a lot of fun with all the wildlife we saw, too. Here was a duckling brave enough to venture halfway across the lake from its mom, and then we saw a beaver hard at work. If you listen to the video closely, you can hear him using his teeth, and one of the girls whispering, "There he is!"






We're on our way home here. Note the highly appropriate footwear Cami has on.

Yep, I guess Dad might get his fishing time in this summer after all, considering we've gone twice in the six days since we've bought it! Only, hopefully next time we'll remember to put in the plug before we unload it into the water. By the time Ryan came back from parking the truck and trailer this last time, I was yelling for him to hurry because the boat was filling up with water...thank you to the nice folks who had extra pumps for us to use. No, no, we're not novices, why do you ask?!?

PS Now we just have to name the boat. Should we steal someone else's joke and call it "Stake Business," so when he's fishing, he's out on... ? Ha ha, not really.

3 comments:

  1. EVERYONE forget the plug at least once !:) So don't think you're all that silly for that !:)

    So fun I am jealous it looks wonderful! :) Man Cami is like a little young lady! And is looking so much like you when I met ya, 23 years ago. (something like that !:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Overall, I thought it was a very enjoyable outing (well if we forget about the lost crayon anyway). And I knew I should have put that plug in after I washed the boat out (you know, right then when I was thinking about it). :)

    It ended up being a nature safari too, Lisa mentioned the beaver and ducks, but forgot to mention the otter and osprey. It was a really nice evening.

    ry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike and I have dreams of getting a boat. What a fun family activity!!! I've enjoyed catching up on your blog tonight. Book club's on Tuesday (at my house) -- you should come :)

    Amy

    ReplyDelete