Friday night Cami and Lily slept over at a neighbor's house, and I picked them up so that they could get ready and go straight to a friend's birthday party. The mom plans such great parties, and this one had a cat theme:
(I guess they just wanted Maya in the picture, too.) They had tuna sandwiches and goldfish crackers, and came home with fun cat-themed prizes. Then they helped Dad in the backyard, went to a baptism (all of Cami's friends are turning eight! She's almost there!), and played games while I got some shopping in.Maya obviously wasn't missing Mom for the evening. Ryan put her in her pajamas and then went to help the other girls get ready for bed. When he came back to tell her it was time for bed, she had accessorized her pj outfit and said, "Dad, I'm coloring!"
Sunday was when things got really interesting. Maya had been sick with a cold all week, and for a day or two it had gotten into her eye and made it red and goopy, but then was gone almost the next day. So when I got her cold, and then my eye turned red, I thought it was just the cold wandering into a different part of my body and would go away quickly. Plus it would kind of clear up during the day so I kept thinking it was getting better. I tried to stay home for the most part, but we still had friends in and out, and I went to the baptism and out shopping on Saturday. Sunday morning, when I couldn't even open my eye, I realized it'd been at least four days, so I looked up pinkeye on the internet. Dang it! I've been exposing the entire neighborhood and not only that, but I was supposed to be doing RS secretary stuff at church (8 am), making 200 cookies for a fireside that Ryan's going to that night, making that treasure chest cake for the auction that I mentioned previously so my MIL can take it to work the next day, and going to my brother-in-law's birthday party. (Sometimes I don't plan my "day of rest" very well, can you tell?)Luckily, the RS counselor I called to take over for me at church also happened to have an erythromycin ointment prescription, so she brought that over when she picked up my RS bag. I'm SO thankful to her, because it has really, really helped! The girls and I stayed home from church since Ryan was speaking in some other ward at the same time, then HE came home and made 200 cookies, I called my MIL to tell her I'd make the cake the next day when I had been on the meds for at least 24 hours, and sent the kids with her to the birthday party (Ryan had the fireside and other meetings). So it turns out the world keeps turning without me. Huh.
Cami stayed at my parents' after the birthday party because they were leaving for their Mt. Bachelor ski trip early this morning. Lily actually was invited (see last year's post about Lily getting "too cold" to ski for more than 45 minutes in brand-new, expensive gear), but I knew she would probably feel the same way again, so I talked her into a different kind of fun at home (aquatic center every day, playdates with friends, going out to lunch with dad, you know, classic bribes for five-year olds). She thought it sounded fun, and when I volunteered my mom to have her over for a sleepover later, she was sold.
I can't give you much of an update on Cami--I only talked to my brother tonight who said she was already asleep and "had a lot of fun." Hopefully more later. Oh, and my eye was pretty much clear this morning, so I did one more day of the ointment and it's gone!
There was the matter of making that darn cake--I Lysoled the entire kitchen, scrubbed my hands every five minutes, and then put it together and raced down to her work when I found out the person who bought the cake was leaving work even earlier than I had expected. But it all worked out, and the lady was really nice about having to stay at work 10 extra minutes. The girls and I managed to have fun in the meantime. We exercised at home together, they got McDonald's for lunch, and Lily and I took turns winning at Sorry while Maya took a nap. When Dad got home, we had dinner and then headed out for the promised aquatic center trip:
We took quite a few of these pictures while Maya said "cheese" and Lily said "swim," until I told Lily that saying "swim" made her face look weird and would she please say "cheese." Then, apparently, Maya had been trying the get the pink bag into the picture on this last one, because when I showed her the picture on the camera right after I took it, she demanded I take another one that had more of the bag in it. As I lifted up the camera to take another picture, she said, "Say 'CHEESE!', bag!"
They had a lot of fun--Maya hung out with Dad, I made a last push to get better before I got in a pool with a hundred other people and took pictures instead, and Lily spent so much time on the slide and rope swing that one mom passing us said, "She's a fish!"

Maya and Dad took a break from the kiddie pool to come visit Lily in the big pool, and they actually tried out the slide. It splashed her too much for her to want to do it again, but she did like riding around on a noodle like a horse while Dad pushed her around.
Lily did everything--not just the slide and rope swing, but noodles, balls, and rings. She'll be happy to go back tomorrow, and I think I'll actually get in then!
And Day 6, oops!
ReplyDeleteYour girls are so cute and look just like you!! Sounds like a great week!!
ReplyDeleteWOW...you really did pack the activities in there! Hope you guys had a great break! Maybe today can be a TRUE day of rest for you! :)
ReplyDeleteSpring break at your house sounds like so much fun! I'm glad that you found some medicine quickly, being sick is the worst!
ReplyDelete