So if this post seems to be derived more of random recent pictures I could quickly find in my photo folder rather than deep and long-thought-out wisdom on my part, blame my mom.
I really like making cakes for my family's birthdays. I have more optimism than training, but they usually turn out okay and it's more for fun than anything else. A few weeks ago, my niece turned two, and I made her these Barbie cakes.
My girls thought they were wonderful, although they pointed out the low cut purple dress with straps (modesty and Barbies is an ongoing concern in our house, anyone else?). Look, I ran out of purple frosting, okay?
So then my mother-in-law had this great idea. She works for the state treasury department and they were having an auction. Might I be able to donate one of those treasure chest cakes like I made for a birthday a while back? (Get it? She works for the treasure-y. Ha ha.) Making a cake for family is one thing, but the idea of having someone pay for my, er, creations was another! It's a long story, but below is pictured the cake I made, and then I ended up just sending her the photo for the auction and they requested a later date, so hopefully that one turns out too! It was actually good to practice, because now I'll get to make a few improvements.
So if anyone wants a cake made for a birthday or any other occasion, please call someone else!
Your cakes are awesome! Interesting, because one of my good friends is and Executive Assistant in the State Treasury office, and my husband interviewed there not too long ago. Small world. Thanks for the update!
ReplyDeleteAmy
HaHa--thats funny it was Amy that responded, because I clicked on the comment button so I could say if I wanted a cake from anyone, it would be Amy. I still think about her Coconut cream birthday cake...
ReplyDeleteI too, with your mother have been thinking - dude her mistletoe season is over - where is that girl! :)
ReplyDeleteYes, it's true folks, if you want an awesome cake or cupcake, Amy's the one you want! Amy, your baking is famous--my mom raves, and your grandma even pulled up your blog when I was at her house to show me your cupcakes a while back! :)
ReplyDeleteEt tu, Kristina? ;)
Very Fun! You did an amazing job on those cakes!
ReplyDeleteBe prepared to see a very cool longboard cake pic posted on line. i can't wait to see it either!
ReplyDeleteI have such talented friends!! Those cakes are amazing girlfriend!!
ReplyDeleteWow! Very creative! Makes Olivers ice cream cone cakes look a little "simple" ;)
ReplyDeleteGreat job Lisa!
ReplyDeleteSo Lisa, does that mean you don't want to volunteer you for any more cakes? Because I have a bout 10 people who wanted to order cakes! Okay, just kiddin' - But Traci is all excited about getting her Treasury Cake! And I love the Barbie cakes too.
ReplyDeleteSo Mama Nirvana . . . who is your good friend at Treasury?
Niecee